Thursday, April 25, 2013

For the love of coffee and culture




I remember the first time I tasted Turkish coffee. I was visiting Roland in Grand Rapids. He took me to the 'best' restaurant ever (even people from GR can't find anything that matches up), Marie Catrib's . This place has a cool story how the owner was banned from the family kitchen at one point in her life to a huge success in opening up her very own restaurant. This place has a Lebanese twist...with delicious flavorful healthy food. MMMmm...just talking about this place makes me miss Grand Rapids even more, there are so many other places worth mentioning but I will save those for later!

So back to tasting this Turkish coffee.... it was beautiful truly the best to this day I have ever had. It had the right amount of sugar and cardamom in it that your taste buds asked for more.
So today I craved this coffee-- and had to try to make it myself!

Usually you will need a ibrik which is a small stovetop pot that is used to make this coffee. I didn't have one so I just used a small sauce pan.

Yield:
2 small cups of coffee for two or 1 huge cup for one!

Ingrediants:

1 cup water
1.5 tbsp finely ground coffee beans (powder consistency)
1/4 tsp cardamom
Organic cane sugar ( I used about 1/2 a tbsp, I recommend using even less then adding it later if you need to )

Directions:

1. Add water, coffee, sugar, and cardamom to the pot.
2 .Bring to a slow simmer on medium heat about 3-4 minutes (stir for sugar to dissolve).
3.When the coffee begins to boil pour half of it to your cup/s.
4. Bring the remaining coffee to a slow simmer about another 1-2 minutes.
5. Pour the rest of the coffee to your cup/s.
[Make sure the coffee forms a foam on the top of your pan, do not stir once you have poured it into your cups. This allows the foam to remain.]
6. Let sit for a few minutes for the coffee grounds to sink to the bottom of your cup/s.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. cardamom is so good! I'd never used it until I started making homemade chai concentrate. I love it :)

    ReplyDelete